http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4343
The article I chose was titled, Guided Reading in the Primary Classroom, by: Mary Kreul.
It was interesting to read that guided reading is a component of a four-block reading program that consists of self-selected reading, shared reading, writing, and working with words. Guided reading is done on a daily basis and consists of students being put into groups on certain reading levels. I have observed this being done in every grade level. I have even sat with students in their groups and listen to them read the books on their level. It was really interesting the see the different types of books and the different levels for students. In this article it provides steps for doing a guided reading lesson. It shows what to do before reading, during, and after reading. It acknowledges that the steps will vary but they are very interesting to read and see good strategies for teachers to incorporate. It states that flexible reading groups are based on abilities and needs of the student. It provides examples to determine a student's ability level for example, running records, print test, and teacher observations. I have seen running records being done in my observations and teachers are constantly doing running records because students make progress and change levels throughout the school year. I know that we will discuss more about running records in class so I wont discuss it further. I really liked searching and reading this article. I think scholastic has a lot of useful tools available for teachers to use and I am glad that I had the opportunity to find an article and learn about guided reading on my own.
Emily, your article seems interesting and I find it interesting that it also says that guided reading is part of a four-block reading program. I have not ever heard about that but it seems interesting. I love that both of our articles give steps or ways to use guided reading in the classroom. This may sound silly but I guess I never realized that in our classrooms when the students read with their reading groups that is guided reading. I know, it's kind of a no brainer but I just never looked at it like that. Now looking back I can say that I have seen guided reading in a lot of the classrooms that I have been in and I have even helped with some of them. In my second grade class this past semester, I actually helped with this process a lot. But I find it interesting that in one of the reading groups there was one little boy that was obviously on a higher reading level then the other children in the group. Overall, I think guided reading is a great concept that we could use in our classrooms.
ReplyDeleteSounds like an awesome resource for you to keep close to you when you go into the classroom. Especially if you are in a school using the Four Blocks program!
ReplyDelete