Thursday, June 9, 2011
June 9th Reflection
Fluency was the main topic for our readings and it really took an indepth look of defining what reading fluency is while also determining which components are assessed in multiple ways. The readings state that a fluent reader is, "any person who reads smoothly without hesitation, and with comprehension." Fluency consists of four main components that is dicussed in the article, "One-Minute Fluency Measures: Mixed Messages in Assessment and Instruction." The four components are accuracy, rate, prosody, and comprehension. The artcile focuses on explaining each individual compenent and then later discussed how students could be assessed along with the misconceptions of instruction. In the article, "Creating Fluent Readers," they talk about how there can be certain students with accurate reading but that sometimes hesitate on words due to vocabulary when reaching higher grade levels. As teachers how do we counteract this in our classrooms....that's the answer that we must figure out in these readings. It's surprising to me to read these atricles and the book on fluency and to see how important it has come, "taking front seat in discussions." However, I have heard more about the teachers and reading coaches losing their jobs because there is not enough money in the budget to afford the programs they offer. Fluency is what leads students to read successfully, so why are schools not approaching this concern more intently. As teachers, we aren't instructing students how to read fluently. The articles discuss ways of assessing and teaching fluency. One of the best ways to encourage and teach fluency is model those behviors. We as teachers need to understand and read fluently ourselves before we can expect students to gain the knowledge and become fluent readers. I agree that we should pursue this and allow children to have the opportunities to understand what it means to be a fluent reader. Being able to read fast doesn't mean your fluent, you have to have processed the text and comprehended the text. As a future teacher, I have gained information that I need to understand the important topics in education and model those in the classroom. The word fluency can be very misleading when you don't understand all the components within it's meaning. We not only need to educate our students on these issue but also make sure that teachers know and understand issues like fluency, in order to be better prepaired in the classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Emily, your post is very insightful about the readings. I am also at a loss for why schools are cutting teachers and reading coaches due to budget cuts. If reading and fluency is so important, then why is that position one of the first to be eliminated when the budgets are cut? It almost makes me wonder where our priorities are when it comes to curriculum and what is most important to teach. I also strongly agree with you that in order to be able to teach fluency to our students, we as teachers should fully understand what fluency is. Before these readings, I honestly did not realize what all was included in fluency. Your post was great and I can totally see where you are coming from.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Emily. I really like to see that you are writing about what you think about the articles we read instead of regurgitating the information.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree. Teachers need to be well educated. We can't expect teachers to influence children if they do not understand the concepts themselves. As teachers are an extremely influential factor in the academic success of children, we need to make sure our teachers are experts. How would you suggest we educate teachers effectively?
I mean just by holding teachers accountable for attending workshops and having pre-service teachers understand the important issues within the education feild. I feel that some of us are coming into this feild and we don't understand the full complexity of the issues that teachers right now are being faced with. Just like most of the schools are doing away with reading recovery coaches because the funds aren't there, but yet the most controversial issue withing education is stated as student's going through school and not being able to read, understand, or comprehend book/material. I feel it's important to continue making classeslike this mandatory for teachers to take so they learn effective strategies to combat current issues within the education feild. I'm not saying that we would then learn every issue and understand it completely, but we could at least learn how to become effective teachers in the classroom which would help some of the issue.
ReplyDeleteInteresting thoughts, Emily. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete